I loved this event. Here are my suggestions for getting the most out of it:
- If you have time, watch the film the night before and print a copy of the comments you intend to make (or if you want to get fancy save them as a text file or e-mail on your phone so you can just copy and paste)
- Since you can't predict exactly when your comment will appear on-screen (the range seemed to be 4 to 10 seconds), favor comments about the scene in general rather than specific lines.
- Comments short enough to only take one line on screen will stay on-screen longer (I didn't have a chance to figure out how many characters that would be, unfortunately....)
- Callbacks to other comments don't really work, I think because a lot of them get missed. What works surprisingly well are callbacks to things that happened in the theater rather than in the film.
- Comments in the form of "fill-in-the-blank" questions which other attendees can answer in one or two words work very well, especially during the film's duller moments.
The next HeckleVisions will be held on the following Mondays: April 9 @ 7pm (Anaconda), April 23 @ 7pm (Interview with a Vampire), May 14 @ 9:30pm (Starship Troopers), June 11 @ 7pm (Johnny Mnemonic), July 30 @ 7pm (Lara Croft Tomb Raider), and Aug 13 @ 7pm (Days of Thunder). See here for directions.